Towards a Culture of Safeguarding
The Church has a responsibility to ensure all those who undertake work in the name of the Church are adequately trained in safeguarding matters. The Catholic Church is dependent on Clergy, Religious and Lay people using their skills and talents to nurture and support the Catholic community. Some will be paid employees, but the majority undertake their work on a voluntary basis. Whilst some will recognise their role as a volunteer, many rightly see their caring and support contribution as part of their Christian responsibility and ministry. But we all have a role to play in safeguarding the young or adults who may be at risk and it is for this reason that the Catholic Church in England and Wales has worked with EduCare to bring you an e-learning package that will raise awareness throughout the Catholic Community in our countries. The e-learning package is part of the Church’s commitment to safeguarding, and is available to all members of the Catholic community free of charge.
NB This training does not replace the basic awareness training that is available but is a useful additional learning program and essential for those who may be unable to access the basic awareness training.
What do I need to do to access this training resource?
1. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest.
2. Your email should contain your name, email address, the name of your parish/order/congregation, and your role. For example: Priest, Member of the Religious, Safeguarding Representative, Youth Worker, Teacher, SVP or Other Volunteers, Parent/Grandparent/Guardian, or Other.
3. On receipt of your email the safeguarding team will register your email address with EduCare.
4. You will receive a Welcome Email from EduCare where you will set your password.
5. You will then have instant access to the training programmes.